Software developers are the brains behind the design, installation, testing and maintenance of software systems.
Software Developer/Software Engineer:
A software developer is a person concerned with facets of the software development process. Their work includes researching, designing, implementing, and testing software. A software developer may take part in design, computer programming, or software project management. They may contribute to the overview of the project on the application level rather than component-level or individual programming tasks. Software developers are often still guided by lead programmers but the description also encompasses freelance software developers.
What is the career of a Software Developer/Engineer?
- Software developers are also known as computer programmers. They are the brains behind the design, installation, testing and maintenance of software systems.
- Responsibilities and duties of a Software Developer/Engineer
- Determines operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions.
- Documents and demonstrates solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
- Prepares and installs solutions by determining and designing system specifications, standards, and programming.
- Improves operations by conducting systems analysis; recommending changes in policies and procedures.
- Obtains and licences software by obtaining required information from vendors; recommending purchases; testing and approving products.
- Updates job knowledge by studying state-of-the-art development tools, programming techniques, and computing equipment; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Provides information by collecting, analysing, and summarising development and service issues.
- Skills required to become a Software Developer/Engineer
- Analysing Information
General Programming Skills:
- Software Design
- Software Debugging
- Software Documentation
- Software Testing
- Problem Solving, Teamwork
- Software Development Fundamentals
- Software Development Process
Most employers will expect you have to have a relevant computing qualification or degree, however there are companies that run trainee programmes for those with AS levels.
If you have a degree, but it's not related to IT, you could apply for a graduate trainee scheme, or take a postgraduate conversion course to build up the relevant skills. Some of the most sought after skills by employers include Java, C++, Smalltalk, Visual Basic, Oracle, Linux and .NET. PHP are also becoming increasingly in demand.
Where to study Software Development and Software Engineering in India?
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Chennai
- Birla Institute of Technology & Science Pilani
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Roorkee
- Banaras Hindu University (IIT, BHU) Varanasi
- National Institute of Technology Mangalore
- National Institute of Technology Duvakudi, Thiruchirappally
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Guwahati
- Delhi Technological University, Delhi
- Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT) Vellore
- National Institute of Technology Calicut
- PSG College of Technology Coimbatore
- National Institute of Technology Warangal
- Birla Institute of Technology Ranchi
- Netaji Subhash Institute of Technology New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIIT) Allahabad
- College of Engineering Pune
- International Institute of Information Technology (IIIT) Hyderabad
Various courses available:
- B.A Computer Science
- B.C.S Computer applications
- BE + MBA Computer Science and Engineering
- B.Sc. Computer Applications
- B.Sc. Computer Technology
- B.Sc. Computer Science Statistics
- B.Sc. + M.Sc. Computer Science Applications
- B.Tech. Computer and Information Science
- M.Tech. Mathematics and Computing
The minimum average salary of a software developer in India ranges from Rs 50,000-1 lakh per month.
Computer engineers and software developers in India are the most efficient engineers the country produces. The competition bar to get a seat in a prestigious college that offers such desirable courses is already so high that when someone is a product of such a college, companies directly give placements. Therefore, one can be positive about having an excessively good salary package when in this field. Computer engineers, software developers and designers are one of the highest paid professionals all over the globe but the breakthrough needs a great deal of dedication and hard work.